Our Lady of La Salette
On Saturday, September 19, 1846, a “Beautiful Lady” appeared to two children. They were watching their herds on the slope of Mont Plane not far from the village of La Salette, France. In a little hollow, they suddenly noticed a globe of fire – “as though the sun had fallen on that spot.” Within the dazzling light they gradually perceived a woman seated on a stone. The shepherd children Maximino and Melanie saw our Blessed Mother Mary and received urgent messages for all humanity.
Several religious congregations, inspired by the apparitions of La Salette, were founded. Among them are the Missionaries and the Sisters of Our Lady of La Salette, dedicated to promoting the message of reconciliation. Christ the King’s first resident priest came from the Missionaries of La Salette. The Altar Society was named for the priests in service at the founding of our parish.